The independence created by philosophical insight is – in my opinion – the mark of distinction between a mere artisan or specialist and a real seeker after truth. – Einstein
Dr. David Edwards is a fifth generation Texan! Although he was born and raised in Dallas, his family was one of the first families to arrive in Panola County in 1837. Dr. Edwards joined Advanced Heart Care in September 2012. He completed his medical training and earned a Ph.D. in Molecular Genetics and Developmental Biology at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He received his Internal Medicine training at UT Southwestern’s Parkland Hospital. Dr. Edwards completed his Cardiology fellowship and additional training in Inherited Heart Disease at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Maryland, where he served his final year as the chief cardiology fellow. Subsequently, he completed an additional two-year fellowship in Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology at Johns Hopkins.
In addition to providing inpatient surgical interventions and treatment, Dr. Edwards also oversees THE HEART HOSPITAL Baylor Plano’s Inherited Cardiovascular Disease Clinic; an outpatient setting that offers genetic screening and evaluations.
Dr. Edwards says he always wanted to be a scientist or a doctor, so “I did both!” His passion is to work with his hands and teaching patients about heart rhythm and genetic issues.
When not practicing medicine, Dr. Edwards enjoys camping, playing with his three children, following Texas Rangers baseball and classic cars.
- University of Texas at Austin, BA cum laude magna et ampla
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, M.D. Ph.D.
- Internship in Internal Medicine: UT Southwestern, Parkland Memorial Hospital
- Residency in Internal Medicine: UT Southwestern, Parkland Memorial Hospital
- Fellowship in Cardiology: The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Fellowship in Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology: The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Texas State Medical License
- Oklahoma State Medical License
- Maryland State Medical License
ABIM Board Certification
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- The Heart Hospital at Baylor Plano
- Baylor Plano Regional Medical Center
- Christus Mother Francis-Sulphur Springs
Academic and Administrative Appointments
Chief Cardiology Fellow, Johns Hopkins Hospital 2009-2010
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Member, Heart Rhythm Society
- Member, American College of Physicians
Awards & Honors
Chief Fellow at Johns Hopkins